Using Nicotine Lozenges to Quit Smoking
Nicotine lozenges are available in regular and mini sizes.
- Regular nicotine lozenges come in 4mg and 2mg strengths
- Mini nicotine lozenges come in 4mg and 1.5 mg strengths
If you usually have your first daily cigarette within 30 minutes of waking or smoke more than 20 cigarettes per day, use the 4mg nicotine lozenge.
If you usually have your first daily cigarette after 30 minutes of waking or smoke less than 20 cigarettes per day, use the 2mg or 1.5mg nicotine lozenge.
How to Use Nicotine Lozenges
All nicotine lozenges are designed to dissolve in your mouth, so they can be absorbed through the mouth’s lining.
- Do not exceed 15 nicotine lozenges per day; only use 1 lozenge at a time.
- Allow the nicotine lozenge to dissolve in your mouth. Do not swallow or chew lozenges.
- From time to time, you can suck the lozenge and move it around your mouth until it dissolves (this takes 20-30 minutes).
- Do not eat or drink while using a nicotine lozenge.
- Each brand has slightly different instructions, however in general you should use 1 lozenge every 1-2 hours, for 6-8 weeks, starting on your quit day.
- After 6-8 weeks, use nicotine lozenges when needed.
Side Effects of Nicotine Lozenges
Nicotine lozenge side effects may include a sore mouth, hiccups, heartburn, or nausea. Consult your doctor if you experience any symptoms that may be related to Nicotine Replacement Therapy.
To find out more about NRT products, contact your doctor, pharmacist or the NSW Quitline