Advice on Using Alternative Quit Methods
You may have heard about certain non-traditional or alternative quit methods, which some people try when attempting to quit smoking.
These alternative quit methods include:
- Acupuncture to quit smoking
- Laser therapy to quit smoking
- Hypnotherapy to quit smoking
- Herbal cigarettes or herbal preparations
- Electronic cigarettes
Do these alternative quit methods work?
There is no convincing scientific evidence to indicate that any of these alternative quit smoking methods will increase your chances of quitting, compared to either:
Wondering about alternative quit methods? Consider this...
1. If you feel an alternative approach might be worth a try, it’s important to be realistic in your expectations of how effective this method will be.
2. Be aware that alternative quit smoking methods can be expensive.
3. Some alternative quit smoking methods carry other significant health risks. With herbal cigarettes, for example, you still breathe in smoke that contains cancer-causing chemicals.
4. It’s important to be honest with yourself about whether you’re really just looking for a quick and easy fix to quit smoking.
The NSW Quitline can provide professional support and confidential advice on the best quit smoking method for you.
Click here to learn more about the NSW Quitline services