Plasticleech
South Eastern Sydney
24/06/2013

Champix Day 10 - QUIT DAY!!

Posted in Hints and tips 02 Jul 2013

I am happy. Really happy.  No cigarette this morning, which has been my only one for a few days and I AM STILL ALIVE AND SANE. Except maybe for all of the capitalisation!

But really, as I lay in bed this morning contemplating getting up, I only had one concern, which was getting a paper finished today.  Of course I wondered how I would go about not having that cigarette, but it turned out that I didn´t really care in the end.

I started smoking 14 years ago on my 18th birthday, just because I could.  Apart from the few times that I had unsucessfully stopped smoking before, I have never lived adult life without the stress of running out of cigarettes, or hanging out for the next one.  It´s like I have woken from a bizarre mania.  To conclude the comment that I made on Jack´s post about Effexor and Champix - Like he mentioned, I am also ready to call my doctor if I start to feel odd,  but it hasn´t been the case so far.  Its funny - to help to combat the depression my doctor always suggested exercise, but on the rare ocassion where I felt that I could do it, I´d do it, and end up all wheezy and needing that mythical oxygen mask, and feeling more depressed than I did before.  So - after The Sickness (that is the chest infection-unclogging thing from giving up smoking) passes, I am going to start swimming again.

• goonellabah2002, Northern NSW July 02, 2013 | 14:47
    Well done on sticking to your quit day and also good to see you are ALIVE. We tend to think we can't or won't be able to cope, but just goes to show how much stronger we are than the thoughts in our head.

Well done and keep up the good work. Oh BTW you should notice the changes in your chest very soon but I would not hold back on the exercise.
  • Suzi, Illawarra Shoalhaven July 02, 2013 | 16:58
    Fantastic,just go one day at a time and if you went without a ciggie today you can do it tomorrow,good luck and well done.
  • moremoney, Western Sydney July 02, 2013 | 20:26
    Yah plasticleech - well done. See it is possible to go one day without a smoke. Then there'll be 2 days and then 3 and then forever. I'm on day 13 and just started going for walks. It's great not to have that wheezy,chesty feeling. Good on you
  • converse July 02, 2013 | 21:12
    Hey Plasticleech, well done, big step today, you will feel so much better soon. I find the exercise helps me, especially with my moods, It gets out frustration and anger, I do feel great after.Keep going one day at a time.
  • Plasticleech, South Eastern Sydney July 02, 2013 | 21:36
    Thank you everyone for your support! I am lucky to be quitting with you all!
  • Gammy, Hunter New England July 03, 2013 | 5:59
    Hi there Plasticleech,
    well done, Just take it one day at a time and like everyone says, you will get there and the road gets a little easier.. Good luck and keep posting
  • john_syd_west, Nepean Blue Mountains July 03, 2013 | 11:28
    The first few days after I gave up I did not feel too bad but then had 2 weeks where I felt really crappy. Headache, felt ill could not concentrate but that past and I now feel great, any better and I would be dangerous lol. So stick with it, it gets better and it's worth it.