Andyshez
8/08/2020

Yet again we try

Posted in Getting started 09 Aug 2020

Hello everyone yet again i am going too try to beat this addiction brand new forum hopefully brand new me the longest i have ever gone is a couple of weeks i am 59 years old and a widower i am retired and tend to travel all the time which i think makes it harder for me to stop but obviously thats just another excuse i use for some reason i think ive joined a mainly Australian forum which may seem odd as i live in England but no matter 😊 really hoping you all can help me 😊

• softly40, Mid North Coast August 09, 2020 | 8:07
    Welcome Andyshez, we can all help you in some way, yes we can always find some excuse for caving in or starting to smoke again. I am a widow and yes retired too, so that is something which you now know should not be an excuse any more.

In Australia we travel long distances by car mainly but those closer to transport still use either the bus or train. Let us know how far you have gotten to and judging by your post this is not your first time. I have tried a few times too, but this forum has a sweet beat and kept me on the straight and narrow.

Nicotine is an addiction which loves to ensnare anyone who thinks they cannot win, so you need to do some reading on the addiction itself and read some of our posts here. You can make this your last time if you keep in touch and practice NOPE (not one puff ever) every day without fail. It works.
  • Happiness August 09, 2020 | 10:57
    Yes, knowledge is power and knowing you are missing nothing y quitting smoking makes it much easier. Change your mind and change your life. I quit with another forum, ut found this one which is far superior in that you can actually contact and follow someones story..... very helpful.
    Follow my lilnks and read Allan Carr...FREE! Mindset is everything. You can quit smoking when you decide you WANT to. Why wouldn't you?
  • Andyshez August 09, 2020 | 19:04
    Thank you Happiness Thank you Softly 40 Tuesday is my quit date and i hope im well prepared yes i have failed many times but i am ready for another battle again thanks for the support 😊
  • Istaysee August 10, 2020 | 1:05
    Hi, congratulations on trying again. I quit 12 years ago, started again 1 year back ( yes very stupid!). Day 1 quitting for me. I have tried 4/6 times in the last year and the longest I quit for was 1 week. Nice to hear someone else has tried a few times and trying again. I can certainly relate. Good luck!
  • Happiness August 10, 2020 | 12:04
    To I staysee. I can't imagine how I would feel to slip after 12 years. Keep on keeping on trying to regain that freedom you experienced. While your slip might indicate to others how easy it is to fall off the wagon, your several attempts to regain that smoke-free status again gives others a sense of pride and what it is they are fighting for. ..... Nothing good has come from smoking, but so much better quality of life can be gained by not. Sense of pride and satisfaction having beat the devil once... let alone twice....! And you will. I think sticking with the forum after a quit also helps to stay the straight and narrow. I enjoy being an active member, but just staying in touch and hopefully contributing a little, makes this a great tool in remaining smoke free as well as initial help in quitting.
  • Robn August 10, 2020 | 21:10
    Hi Andyshez, just take it one day at a time for a few weeks. Concentrate on today only, I will not smoke today mantra can be helpful. Sometimes when we plan too far ahead it seems daunting. Do all that you normally do and keep busy. This can be your final quit. You can do this.
  • Robn August 10, 2020 | 21:10
  • Andyshez August 11, 2020 | 1:41
  • Puffer August 13, 2020 | 10:15
    It is a really difficult time when you are at the point of wanting to give up but finding it difficult. It is up to you to make the decision and keep at it. Remember with every hiccup a lesson is learnt. It will happen as the seed has been planted. I love this community page and find it extremely helpful and encouraging. Every time I had a craving I would come on here and either write or read stories. By the time I finished the craving would have subsided. I am 985 day smoke free after 38 years of being a smoker. You can do it!