auspark
5/06/2019

hanging in there, barely some times

Posted in Staying quit 07 Jul 2019

Hi All,

It's been awhile since I wrote in here.

I still haven't had one puff, it's been since April 18 when I wound up in the hospital with pneumonia.

I'm glad I haven't smoked, but I gotta say I still have plenty of moments during the day that I WOULD normally be smoking that I think about it, I eat instead, gotta start doing something about the weight gain.

Deep breaths, I'm not sure all of my energy is back from the pneumonia, but I'm still not smoking, am back to work full time.

Anyway, wanted to say hi, and hope you're all doing well.

I think today is my 77 or 78 day. I have an app on my phone that tells how many cigarettes I WOULD have smoked and it's close to 2000 at a pack a day, or 25 cigs a day., that is CRAZY to me.

Thanks for listening.

Alison

The lady from the SF bay area in california

• Johnnie, South Eastern Sydney July 07, 2019 | 12:39
    Hi Auspark...you doing good. You need to be mentally be focused to the fact you 1.......want to quit and 2 that you lose your desire to smoke and as you have had health issues this will not be hard for you. Cravings are mental happenings not physical. We need to adjust mentally in dealing with life without cigarettes as we had adjusted to life with them. I been quit 3yrs and cravings are far and few between. If i desire a cigarette i say to myself....i feel like a cake or i feel like i want chocolate. The craving will soon pass. You need to take up a hobby or read a book so that you can distract yourself from the desire to smoke. Not easy but can be done and gets easier as time goes on. Also you will feel much better and richer. So keep up the good work and free yourself from this wicked
    so called "cigarette friend " Cheers
  • Nuts July 07, 2019 | 19:12
    Well done auspark, You are going great
  • auspark July 07, 2019 | 23:25
    Thanks for responding to my post!
    Thanks so much for the support.

• Happiness July 08, 2019 | 2:11
    You are doing great Auspark! Have you truly accepted this journey in your heart? Finding ways to boost your dopamine, which is what nicotine did helps to reduce those cravings. Reaearch and find ways like music, dancing, love, and doing things that make you feel happy can alleviate the stress and make this journey easier. Think positive! You can do this!
  • auspark July 08, 2019 | 12:03
    Yes, I believe I have truly accepted this journey as a non smoker. I will definitely look up ways to boost my dopamine, hadn't thought of that.

Thank you!!
  • Robn July 08, 2019 | 13:22
    Hi Auspark, you are doing really well......remember one day at a time. I know people who have been quit for many years and still get a passing thought of wanting a smoke. It is just a thought and within minutes it is gone. You have got this....keep yourself busy and stay focused on your end goal. You got this.
  • Robn July 08, 2019 | 13:22
  • auspark July 11, 2019 | 2:48
    Thanks so much
    The cravings are kinda weird. I think I want to smoke, but then when I really think about it that's not what I want, it would taste horrible, make me lightheaded, I'd feel HORRIBLE for relapsing and have to start again etc. So it's like I THINK I want to smoke, but that's not it.
    Maybe something to fill that space - which is what you've all said a million times.

UGH

Thanks again! You all mean so much and truly help me especially when I get wobbly

Now, to start losing some of this weight.

• Happiness July 12, 2019 | 6:18
    I once read somewhere that quitting smoking is the equivalelnt healthwise to losing 80 lbs. You are in much better health than you were. Don't sweat the small stuff! You are doing greaaaaat!
  • Nuts July 12, 2019 | 17:01
    After approx 80 days its not a craving, its just a passing thought. You have done so well. Good for you. I gained 5 kilos after i quit. I cut out chocolate for 6 days a week and have lost 2 kilos so far. You will do it too. Yay for you
  • TheOldPhart July 13, 2019 | 22:15
    You might want to read "Move a muscle . . . Change a thought" (exactly as written between the quotes). It might help more than you know.
  • auspark July 14, 2019 | 12:12
    Thank you ! I will definitely check that out, sounds good already