Emmy09
Sydney
Story
25/06/2019

3 months cold turkey

Posted in Quit experiences 25 Jun 2019

Hi everyone, I have been quit for 3 months and I have had just about every withdrawal. Now that I have beat the physical withdrawals, I am still dealing with the anxiety. It is better than it has been but it is still much more than I’ve ever dealt with before. Looking for help with how long it took to feel like yourself again? I heard for most it can be 6 months. Guess I’ll take it one day at a time.

• softly40, Mid North Coast June 25, 2019 | 13:55
    We are about the same time in our quitting journey although I have been here before. It can be overwelming at odd times.
    At the moment I dont have many but when I think of certain situations that I find difficult I get a wave of withdrawals or it could be anxiety. That is when I deep breath or have a bite to eat (a nibble) on something.
    I have also realized that smoking covered up a situation that I couldnt deal with properly before and I jotted these down and gave myself a new mantra eg. Everything is as it should be or I am a loving person to myself and others (we are not perfect)
    Yes one day at a time is key in those moments of uncertainty. Mine is fleeting now so I am not too concerned. If yours is still everyday it might be wise to check in with your GP Congratulations in achieving this goal.
  • Happiness June 25, 2019 | 23:25
    It sounds like you are on the track to the winners circle.Congratulations and keep up the positive thinking. It sounds like you have been through alot but have persevered and come out the other side where things should improve immensely. Did you quit using the aid of an NRT ? What physical forms of withdrawal did you experience?

We hope to hear more from you on this forum and hope that you will find the answers that you seek. Truly desiring to escape this addiction makes the journey easier overall. Looking forward to being a non-smoker and its exciting , fulfilling rewards rather than looking back is key.
  • Safe2017 June 27, 2019 | 12:42
    Congrats on three months. I found it helpful to have sunflower seeds with me during the first 6 months of my quit because smoking and eating sunflower seeds have about the same hand to mouth motor motion. Everyone is different but around 6 months quit it should much easier for you. Good luck and stay strong.
  • Emmy09, Sydney June 27, 2019 | 12:50
    Thank you all for your responses. I didn’t use any NRTs. I quit cold turkey.
  • Shamrock July 19, 2019 | 19:46
    Hey Emmy09 i hear you. I am 6 months quit cold turkey and my quit was excruciating. i threw everything at it, support group, new fancy tea drinking, meditation, exercise, breathing blah blah blah...but the mental impact was horrific for me. And the anxiety - oh my goodness ! Had never suffered from this before. So what can i tell you that might help other than - I get it and hear you. I can tell you that I had to learn how to cope with every basic emotion from scratch because I smoked all my feelings away for 30 years. I had to re learn how to cope with all circumstances and stresses without smokes. From the biggest crisis to the smalles irriation. It was tough. The best advice I can give is what I gave myself. Just one hour at a time and one day at a time. I did this for many months. Life is certainly better now and the anxiety is gone. I have normalised. Hope this helps. hang in there.
  • emsie July 24, 2019 | 22:05
    Hi. Just wondered how things are going for you. Your experience seems similar to mine. I am at the week 5/6 mark and feel low, teary, anxious...

Have things improved for you?