Xanglee
Southern NSW
Story
6/01/2019

What helped me Quit

Posted in Quit experiences 07 Jan 2019

I was a very brilliant student in by school days, but was an addict to cigarette, alcohol and drugs. I was fortunate that my dad was a Biochemist and doing research with plants leaves and root barks to extract.

He went on a research in Africa and came back with a root bark that was given me to like meal. This roots helped me and I could not get any good feeling from that cigarette and alcohol at all. That's how I quited till today.

I have stayed behind with the African roots connection to help many others quit.

• Happiness January 07, 2019 | 17:00
    Hellooo Xanglee. I have been looking into better food choices and their benefits. In doing so i have found many old herbal remedies from different cultures. I found that ginger curbs appetite and cravings for nicotine, which i how i came about to quit accidentally. I don't know that any have tried it, nut it worked for me.

Since no one has yet asked, what is this African root ? What is the property that reduces the pleasure from nicotine and alcohol. Did it work for your addiction to drugs as well?

I would love to hear more about it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Happiness January 07, 2019 | 17:46
    Are you talking about ibogaine which is a hallucinogenic? https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17666589

Hopefully, someday when proven safe and legal it will be made available for all kinds of addictions.
    I think quitting smoking can be done in a number of ways without the risk of untested studies, and unmonitored back room clinics.

We have the tools to quit. Believe you can and you will.

• John 100 January 07, 2019 | 18:07
    Agree with happiness on this one. No controlled clinical studies that have explored these effects of this drug for either safety or whether it actually works and is not just the placebo effect. A clinical trial is planned to commence in early 2019 at the University of Sao Paulo, until this and other peer reviewed trials are completed I would put this in the same category as these detox treatments that people keep pushing, sound good but not based on fact.
  • Happiness January 07, 2019 | 18:08

We have the tools to quit. Believe you can and you will.

• Happiness January 07, 2019 | 18:25
    I am glad we agree John100. I also agree about detox fads. Some are pretty wild , and just not something i would want to risk. My lung detox is simple, ingredients, ones that you find in curry, and very little of each and small doses for the 11 day recipe. Except for the 400 gm boiled onions (which i would come close to eating in that time), the turmeric and ginger used is less than i would use to make a curry dinner for 3. They are also great inflammatories and anti-oxidants.

Other herbs can reduce cravings, but do have risks. Always research any herbs if you are taking medication or have health problems.

• Happiness January 07, 2019 | 18:26

We have the tools to quit. Believe you can and you will.

• Happiness January 07, 2019 | 18:29
    lol...I seem to be repeating myself. Technical error!
  • Jojo Cee, Hunter New England January 08, 2019 | 12:11
    My best advice I can give if your wanting to lose weight is to exercise happiness. Eating is a big part but exercising each day is extremely important along with the eating healthier and smaller amounts. You had the strength to quit smoking so use this same technic, helps when your craving food. Drinking plenty of water will contribute as well because when we eat sometimes we are not really hungry it’s just a habit. Exercising daily is the only way you’ll lose though and don’t over do it just start small and work up otherwise you’ll over do it and it will make you sore then turns you off exercising all together. Baby steps is the key. There is lots of things online to help motivate you and let you know where to begin. Good luck with it. And I suppose that’s what I’m struggling with on day 8 😊 eating way to much for liking lol. I’ll have to now practice what I preach lol.
  • Happiness January 09, 2019 | 6:32
    Hi Jojo. Sorry we got off to a bad start. Words can be misinterpreted, sound harsh, and i did not catch that after a couple drinks. No excuse. I am glad you are doing well and don't expect you will have a problem keeping your resolve, as you seem strong and determined. This quit will be your last, re-enforced by good information and support.

I think i went about exercise like quitting, all or nothing. Over did it and will work my way up . A Healthy diet maintains my weight while i experiment in chia seeds, almond milk , flax and other strange things i have never encountered. Eating a healthy breakfast of homemade oatmeal where i use apple and cinnamon or banana and cocoa to naturally sweeten. Can add the above to it and it is yummy too. I am eating more now that i ever had, but it comes down to the food you eat. By upping my metabolism,and overall health, the exercise will take care of the pounds. So i hope.

Baby steps, a will and positive thinking to all!