Planning the Right Environment to Quit Smoking
When you’re working out your quit smoking plan, a smart tactic is to make some adjustments to your home and car, to create the right environment for your quit journey.
Here are some ideas for setting up a supportive environment for your quit attempt:
- Don’t smoke in your house or car when you’re cutting down to quit
- Try smoking in an unpleasant or inconvenient location when you are cutting down to quit – next to the garbage bin is a good idea!
- Throw away lighters and ashtrays the night before your quit smoking day (or at least wash up ashtrays and put them away)
- Get rid of old cigarette butts in your car and remove your in-car ashtray or any container you might put cigarette butts in
- Turn your car and home into completely smoke-free zones
Plus, if you live with a smoker, asking them if they’d be willing to do the following could really help your quit smoking attempt:
- Smoke outside
- Not leave cigarettes or lighters in your view
- Try quitting with you – this can be a real motivator and make both your journeys easier
You’ll find your quit smoking journey much easier by reducing the number of smoking triggers around you – read more about common smoking triggers.